Share this page
The Old Town
Village of East Hampton
Did You Know
And Did You Know That…
Town House, Circa 1731
The Marine Museum
Home Sweet Home
- Authorized by President George Washington in 1792.
- First lighthouse in New York State.
- Fourth oldest, active lighthouse in the United States.
- Foundation is 13′ deep and 9′ thick.
- Constructed of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, 8″ high and varying in length from 18″ to 44″.
- The walls are 6′ thick at the base tapering to 3′ thick at the top.
- The height of the tower is 110’6″.
- There are 137 iron steps to the top of the tower.
- The light rotates every 5 seconds and can be seen at a distance of 19 nautical miles.
- The current light is equivalent to two million five hundred thousand candle power.
- Designated in 2012 as a National Historic Landmark by the Secretary of the Interior and the National Parks Service.
For information about tours and special events, see http://www.montauklighthouse.com/ or call 516-668-2544.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share by Email