Regardless of where you’re coming from, you have to get to Route 27 East, also known as Sunrise Highway or Montauk Highway since it’s the only route in and out of the Hamptons as it goes through all the villages all the way to the end of the island.
There are different ways to get to Route 27 so look at a Map for alternate routes. (Zoom out to get an overview of the general area). The instructions below are for the Long Island Expressway (I495).
- LIE I495 going East to Exit 70 – Eastport, Manorville (about 65 miles from New York City)
- At the end of the exit ramp, turn right on to Route 111 South until the end (4.5 miles)
(There’s a Mobil station and a Seven-Eleven for human and vehicle refueling)
- Turn left on to Route 27 East (Sunrise Highway)
- As you continue East, the two-lane highway becomes one lane as it goes through all the villages, beginning with Southampton, through Watermill, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett, Montauk.
Total distance from New York City (Manhattan) to East Hampton Village is approximately 105 miles.
Please note: No handheld cell phones while driving – this is a Suffolk County law.
Car Service Apps
There’s always Uber…If you don’t have the app, download it. Enter your destination and choose your ride options: a large trunk for luggage or a smaller car for just three guests. You’re not going into this blind however; the app will show you an estimated price before completing your request.
Prices depend on where you are being picked up and where your ending destination is but below are estimates from NYC to East Hampton.
- UberX – $226-$299
- UberX + Car Seat – $236-$309
- UberXL – $354-$407
- UberBlack – $465-$617
- SUV – $566-$749
Lyft like Uber is a car service accessed by a mobile app. It’s simple to use, enter your destination and request your ride. The one difference is Uber has more car options than Lyft so be sure to consider luggage and total guests as you choose the car that will make your ride the most enjoyable.
- 4 Seat Lyft – $247-$260
- 6 Seat Plus – $388-$401
- 4 Seat Black Car Lux – $514-$528
- 6 Seat Black Car Lux SUV – $627-$641
Taxi One Hamptons
Taxi One does quite a bit more than the average taxi. They not only can give you a ride Hampton to Hampton but they also do wine tours, historical tours, boat trips and delivery services if you indulged in a shopping spree. Just download their app, xcelerato.com, and a confirmation of your ride will be sent through email or phone.
From East Hampton to:
- $30 – Bridgehampton, Sag Harbor, Napeague
- $60 – Montauk, Southampton, Shelter Island
- $290 – Queens/JFK/LGA Airport
- $320 – Manhattan/Brooklyn
- $380 – Newark/Westchester
You can book your ride with this black car service on their mobile app. Select the time you would like to be picked up and enter the location. If you are flying and you aren’t sure if your plane is on time, Groundlink will track your flight for you to be sure they are they when you land, early or late. Pricing for a van or a stretch limo can be found by calling the following number: 855-747-6863.
- Luxury for a max of 3 guests – $239
- SUV for a max of 6 guests – $329
- VIP Sedan for a max of 3 guests – $329
- Mercedes Benz for a max of 3 guests – $717
By Luxury Liner or Jitney
For smooth and easy departures from Manhattan, there are a few practical options in terms of ground transportation from the accessible Jitney to Luxury Liners. Traffic is a variable during peak times in high season so precise arrival times may vary. There is also the train, never subject to traffic delays, a convenient departure from midtown West. And of course, there’s also the option of private cars. Whatever option you select, getting there can be a breeze even if you’re making plans at the last moment.
Hampton Luxury Liner
Pricing depends on which class you select:
- Coach – &19-$28
- Luxury – $29-$39
- Diplomat VIP – $45-$59
The pick-up locations from New York City to the Hamptons are:
- Lexington Avenue at 86th Street, 70th Street, 59th Street, 47th Street and 39th
- JFK and LGA Airport (Exit 23for West Bound & Exit 25 for East Bound)
The drop off locations from Hamptons to New York City are:
- 3rd Ave & 41st, 3rd Ave & 50th, 3rd Ave & 63rd, 3rd Ave & 78th and 3rd Ave & 86th
The pick-up locations from the Hamptons to New York City are:
- Montauk, Amagansett, East Hampton, Wainscott, Bridgehampton, Water Mill, Southampton, Sag Harbor West Bound, Sag Harbor East Bound, Hampton Bays West Bound, Hampton Bays East Bound, East Quogue West Bound, East Quogue East Bound, Quogue West Bound, Quogue East Bound, Westhampton, Macarthur Airport West Bound and MacArthur Airport East Bound. (For detailed bus schedule, see https://www.hamptonluxuryliner.com/schedule
Premier transport option, Hampton Ambassador (under the Hampton Jitney Umbrella), picks up and drops off on the East Side of Manhattan for the Hamptons and the North Fork . The Hampton Ambassador also has airport connection stops to JFK, LaGuardia, and L.I. MacArthur (in Ronkonkoma, 50 miles outside NYC). Schedule and location details online.
Hop on the Hampton Jitney, it’s a favorite transport choice for frequency and accessibility when heading to/from the Hamptons especially as the Jitney also has airport connection stops at JFK and LaGuardia, Newark, and Long Island MacArthur Airports.
- Montauk Line: $33 on board, $29 online.
- North Fork Line: $23 on board, $20 online.
- Westhampton Line: $28 on board, $25 online.
- Ambassador Line: $50 on board, $45 online.
The Hampton Jitney also offers Value Packs of 12 tickets total:
- Montauk Line: $315 and $12.25 per ticket.
- North Fork: $225 and $18.75 per ticket.
- Westhampton: $240 and $24 per ticket.
Ambassador: $390 and $39 per ticket. For reserved seating it is $440 and $44 per ticket.
- Montauk Line: $33 on board, $29 online
- North Fork Line: $23, $20
- Westhampton Line: $28, $25
For the full schedule of location and times, see https://reservations.hamptonjitney.com
Long Island Railroad
If flying private or ‘coptering in is not on the agenda and the traffic risk for the road travel more than you can bear, there’s the old-fashioned way to get out East: The Train. Actually a fast and smooth way to travel if you’re departing from midtown West.
- Long Island Rail Road – The “Cannonball” express train departs Fridays out of Penn Station, May 25 through August 31, non-stop trip to Westhampton within 95 minutes which is $51.25 in advance.
Be sure to reserve for eight or more travel dates in advance to be assured a seat on the train to the Hamptons!
After You Arrived
There are several options for getting from any of the airports to East Hampton or any of the other villages or hamlets in the Hamptons.
See options for local transportation in East Hampton